15 April 2009

The Living Room

Home

My parents in the living room. I was discovering photography and this was taken by me. Some time in the 70's, somewhere in Colorado, sometime after 5PM. I remember this moment because it was repeated through most of my childhood. The old man came home, grabbed a beer and met my mother in the living room. My mother sipped a Coke and dad sipped his beer and they talked and smoked and caught up on the day that just happened.

New orders? Maybe. A promotion? Hopefully. Time out alone. Gratefully.

6 comments:

Ben said...

Glad you're posting here again. It's a great blog with worthy subject matter.

Ben said...

... By the way, looks like your Dad's drinking a can of Olympia. That was popular in Honolulu when I was a little twerp.

Love beer. That is all.

tintin said...

Thanks, Ben. I can hear an echo over here but I'm glad I'm not alone. Yep, the old man is drinking an Oly. One of my early favorite beers. Used in the scene where Eastwood climbs a pinacle with George Kennedy in the Eiger Sanction and they pop a couple Oly's on the summit. Oly never got a better product placement.

Anonymous said...

I really like this shot! It's the candid nature that makes it so compelling. That and the fact that it's a well balanced natural light. There is more honesty in this shot than many family photos I've seen. Usually it takes an outsider to get the kind of moment you captured.

-DB

tintin said...

DB- You said it. I was an outsider and remain one to this day. Not to feel sorry for myself or ponder my belly button but I never felt like I belonged --anywhere.

Tickled Pink And Green said...

I just did a whole post yesterday about my parents, complete with a party pic in black and white. Ahh, the 60s-70s. Good times.

P.S. Love your mom reading a magazine...